At the beginning of 2020, before the world shutdown, David and I went to Los Angeles. I learned quickly that a weekend trip to Los Angeles leaves very little time to see everything you want to see but it’s definitely possible to have a great trip without crossing everything off your list!
So, why did we go to Los Angeles? Well, my main bucket list goal is to travel to all 50 states and I had never been to California! Plus, I had leftover Southwest credit that had to be used so it worked out perfectly.
Oddly enough, our trip turned into a hockey game extravaganza by accident. Something to know about David and I is that we LOVE hockey and it just so happened that our favorite team was in California the same time we were! We had already planned to go to the game in Los Angeles but on a whim, we bought tickets for their other game in Anaheim the next night.
So, in-between the hockey games, here is what we did for 3 days in Los Angeles!
Our 3-Day Itinerary
In Downtown our first day, we visited:
- Grand Central Market
- Angel’s Flight
- Bradbury Building
- Blue Bottle Coffee
- Staples Center
- L.A. Live
Where We Stayed
I would highly recommend this hotel! It’s the perfect location right off the highway and in Downtown. The rooms were spacious and had one of the best showers I’ve ever experienced in a hotel room (I know, not something a lot of people consider but I love a good shower!)
Where We Ate
- Metropole Bar & Kitchen (located in the Hotel Indigo Los Angeles Downtown)
- Must Try: Lobster Bisque & Cubano Sandwich
- Yard House (Downtown L.A.)
- I typically try to stay away from “chains” when I travel but Yard House is conveniently located outside of the Staples Center and is a must stop prior to any events.
- Must Try: The nachos!
- Anaheim Packing District (Anaheim)
- This place is so much fun and is like a modern day cafeteria with multiple food vendors inside.
- Must Try: Urbana (the margaritas and tacos are AMAZING!)
- Neptune’s Net (Malibu)
- One of the things I knew I wanted to do in Los Angeles was drive the Pacific Coast Highway! So, we took a little trip up to Malibu to visit this famous restaurant.
- Must Try: A seafood basket! The clam strips and fried shrimp were fantastic.
- 26 Beach (Venice Beach)
- Unfortunately, I was not feeling well when we visited this cute restaurant but wanted to include it on the list. David and I both had a burger and they were just simply okay – nothing to rave about.
- Just a side note, parking here is nearly impossible! They do have a very small parking lot in the back if you’re lucky enough to grab a spot.
- Randy’s Donuts (Inglewood)
- David was SO excited to visit this world famous donut shop. I was really bummed about not feeling well and did not get a chance to try them 🙁
- Must Try: Literally anything! David’s favorite was the maple glaze.
As you can see, we did not do many of the typical tourist things in Los Angeles and to be honest, there’s so much left that I want to go back and see. But, it was still a great trip and the spontaneity of it was what made it awesome. Just know, it’s ok to travel somewhere with a plan that goes out the window!