Call me weird, but I love packing! I think it’s because it combines my love of planning, organizing, and travel all in to one.
The boyfriend and I are headed on a road trip soon. Of course, I started packing a week and a half early! But, what should your road trip packing list include?
Here’s my ultimate road trip packing list!
For our upcoming road trip, we are driving to Florida and will be staying for a week. Adjust this road trip packing list to fit your needs.
Clothing Packing List
Here are the essential clothing items you should always pack. Once the essentials are packed, you can start adding in pieces that are specific to the destination you’re headed to.
- 4-5 bottoms (mix of jeans, shorts, & skirts)
- 1-2 “fancy” tops (for dinner or going out)
- 2-3 comfortable tops (for exploring)
- 1-2 dresses (if & only if that’s your thing!)
- 1 pair of tennis shoes
- 1 pair of sandals (for walking around and lounging at hotel)
- 1-2 swimsuits (here is my favorite one)
- Underwear (I always take the number of days I’ll be traveling and add 2 additional. So if I’m going on a 5 day trip, I pack 7!)
- 2 Bras (this is the comfiest travel bra EVER… and I HATE wearing bras because I can never get the right fit)
- Socks (I always take 1 pair for each day of travel)
I pack all of these clothing items in addition to the outfit I wear while traveling.
Helpful tip: Lay your outfits out on the bed for each day to see if you need to add/remove anything.
When going on a road trip, and for longer vacations, I do like to have some of the comforts from home. For example, I like to take my own hand soap because hotel soap typically dries out my skin!
Here are the packing list essentials for toiletries but I also a few added items that I personally love to take.
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Body wash
- Hairspray or styling products
- Prescription or over-the-counter medications (if any)
- Beauty routine items (face wash, moisturizer, etc.)
- Room spray (for those with bathroom anxiety!)
- Hand soap
- First Aid kit (this kit is super cute)
- Hand sanitizer
- Eye drops
- Hair brush (I take this one that’s travel sized and can be used on wet or dry hair)
- Anti-chafe balm (nobody wants chafing burns so I take this balm)
I’m all about emergency preparedness! I typically have most of these items in my car at all times but they are especially useful during road trips.
- Trash bags
- Microfiber towel (this one is really great and can also be used as a beach towel)
- Snacks (beef jerky, crackers, popcorn, nuts, and plantain chips are my faves)
- Reusable water bottle (this one goes with me everywhere!)
- Reusable bag (you never know when you might need a bag for carrying items)
- Cooler with ice & drinks/snacks
- Collapsible organizer (like this one, to hold all the snacks and anything you don’t want rolling around!)
- Tunes! (Check out my Roadtrip Essentials Playlist on Spotify here)
Destination Specific Essentials
Obviously, there are some additional items that need to be included for the specific location you are traveling to. Therefore, just keep your destination in mind when packing.
To read about my Top 10 Beach Essentials, read this post.
- Wallet & purse
- Suitcase (this one is my favorite)
- Tote bag like this one that will carry everything (and fits perfectly over the handles of any suitcase)
- Phone charger
- Young Living Essential Oils (Stress Away rubbed on the arms can really help tame driving anxiety)
- Camera (I like taking this Polaroid for a little bit of fun!)
- Lightweight blanket
- Pen & notebook
It may seem like a lot of stuff but I promise you’ll want these road trip packing list essentials. But, always remember, the BEST part about road trips – you can stop anywhere to pick up the items you forgot 😉